The main crops in the Central – Central Highlands region are in a critical period, which is a condition for harmful organisms capable of spreading on a large scale.
Currently, the South Central Coast region is in the period of hot sunny days with little rain. Cloudy weather in the Central Highlands area, intermittent sunny days, showers and thunderstorms in the evening. At the same time, the main crops in the region such as rice, cassava (noodles), maize, coffee, pepper, cashew, durian, dragon fruit… are at the critical stage, which is the condition for living organisms. damage can spread on a large scale.
Many harmful organisms
The area of summer-autumn rice 2021 in the provinces in the region reached 342,533 hectares, mainly in the growing – solid stage. The main pests are as follows:
– Stem borer damage 911 ha, damage rate 2 – 15% (Binh Thuan, Khanh Hoa, Quang Ngai, Binh Dinh, Phu Yen, Gia Lai); brown planthopper + white-backed planthopper infected area 463 ha (weighing 17 ha), density 750 – 1,500 individuals/m2, high 6,000 insects/m2 (Quang Ngai, Quang Nam, Binh Thuan, Da Nang); Small leaf rollers damage 427 ha, density of 10 – 50 insects/m2 (Binh Thuan, Khanh Hoa, Quang Ngai, Ninh Thuan, Gia Lai, Dak Lak).
– Dry blight damages 3,594 ha (heaviing 140 ha), the rate of the disease is 20-30% as high as 50%; blast disease damages 1,114 ha, weighs 1 ha, disease rate 5 – 20%, high 30% (harms most of the provinces); leaf-neck blast disease + cotton-neck blast disease infected area 82 ha, disease rate 4 – 15% (Binh Thuan, Lam Dong); powdery mildew disease infected area 959 ha (weighing 6 ha), disease rate 5 – 20%, high 30% (Binh Thuan, Quang Ngai, Khanh Hoa, Ninh Thuan, Binh Dinh and Lam Dong).
On cassava: The area of cassava in the whole region is 238,978 ha, mainly in the stage of developing leaves and tubers. Mosaic virus disease affects 29,089 ha, of which weighs 11,350.4 ha, the disease rate is 5 – 40% (50 – 85% high), locally 90 – 100%. The disease causes damage in most of the provinces in the region. In addition, mealybugs damage 175 ha, damage rate 5-20% (Phu Yen, Dak Lak).
On maize: Autumn armyworm continues to cause damage on summer-autumn maize with an infected area of 240.8 ha (weighing 4.5 ha), a density of 2-4 heads/m2, 10 heads/m2 high (Quang Ngai, Phu Yen, Quang Nam, Lam Dong, Dak Lak). Corn acreage decreased a lot compared to the same period last year.
Especially closely following the blockaded area
In order to protect the production of the summer-autumn crop 2021 during the complicated situation of the Covid-19 epidemic, the Central Plant Protection Center suggested that the Sub-Department of Crop Production and Plant Protection in the provinces and the Sub-Department of Agricultural Development of Dak Nong province need to develop implementing some of the following work contents:
– Capture the production and growth of crops and monitor adverse effects of weather affecting plant growth as well as harmful arising of harmful organisms to take initiative. in the direction of production protection of each locality.
– Assign officials to closely monitor the area, inspect the fields, especially arrange staff to know the evolution of harmful organisms in the localities that are blocked due to Covid-19, to advise and coordinate with other agencies. local mass media agencies to propagate and guide farmers to promptly handle pests with high risk of outbreak. At the same time, strictly follow the rules of prevention of Covid-19 epidemic.
– Pay attention to some harmful organisms on the following main crops:
* On rice: Brown planthoppers + white-backed planthoppers, small leaf rollers, rice blast disease, powdery mildew, seed rot…
+ Monitoring and control of thrips, yellow apple snail harmful to rice crop 3, season rice seedling – tillering stage (Lam Dong, Binh Dinh, Phu Yen).
+ Continue to propagate and mobilize farmers to kill rats continuously by many measures.
* On cassava: It is recommended that Sub-departments seriously implement Directive No. 5957/CT-BNN-BVTV dated August 6, 2018 on strengthening the prevention of cassava leaf mosaic virus disease. The Sub-Department of Cultivation – Plant Protection of Phu Yen province, Dak Lak province directed technical staff to guide farmers to handle mealybugs pink powder to avoid spreading on a large scale.
* On maize: Continue to well implement Directive 4962/BNN-BVTV dated July 15, 2019 of the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development on strengthening the direction to prevent and control the corn insect pest in autumn. Applying the technical process of preventing and combating autumn worms issued by the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development in Official Dispatch No. 218/QD-BNN-BVTV dated January 16, 2020.
* Pepper plants: In the young fruit stage, it is necessary to guide farmers to implement the technical process of managing diseases of fast death and slow death of pepper; mealybug root + branch.
* On coffee trees: The stage of young fruit – fruit cultivation, it is necessary to monitor the mosquito bugs that damage coffee tea (Lam Dong), mealybugs, scale aphids and dry branches.
* On durian trees: Fruiting stage – harvesting, pay attention to stem cracking, oozing Phytopthora sp. It is necessary to propagate, train and guide farmers to apply the technical process of disease management of the disease Phytopthora harmful to durian trees promulgated by the Department of Plant Protection.
* Dragon fruit: The care-harvest stage needs to be monitored for brown spot disease. Propagating and recommending farmers to apply the technical process of preventing brown spot disease of dragon fruit of the Department of Plant Protection.
The Sub-departments of the provinces are requested to closely coordinate with the Central Plant Protection Center to direct and protect well the production of the summer-autumn crop 2021.